Before I made these, I thought making cinnamon rolls from scratch was complicated and time consuming, and to be honest I didn’t think they would be worth it. But damn was I wrong! These are the best cinnamon rolls I’ve ever had! They’re chewy, sticky & easy to make.
I’ve seen other cinnamon roll recipes with a long list of ingredients & unnecessary steps like using string of floss to cut the cinnamon rolls (a bread knife works just fine). For those of us on a budget, I wanted to keep the ingredients minimal and the process simple.
I’ve made these cinnamon rolls a few times now (the first time I used baking soda instead of yeast – they were still tasty but not as chewy). The second time I made these yummy cinnamon rolls; I made a big batch and gave them to friends and family. They all told me how amazing they tasted, which means they are 100% carnivore approved too! I was so happy they all loved them so I will definitely be making more.
Yield: 12-14 rolls
Prep: 15 minutes
Rest: 1 hour, 20 mins
Cook: 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 cups plant based milk (I use unsweetened almond or cashew)
- 1 cup melted vegan butter (I use vitalite)
- 1¼ brown sugar
- ½ tbsp active dry yeast (sub for baking soda)
- 5 cups plain/all purpose flour (plus about 1/2 cup for kneading)
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp plant based milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix 2 cups almond milk, ½ cup melted vegan butter, ¼ brown sugar, ½ tbsp active dry yeast, 5 cups flour, 1 tsp Himalayan salt in a large mixing bowl
2. Cover bowl for 1 hour with tea towel
3. Add ½ cup flour into the mixing bowl and start to mix the dough into a ball shape
4. Sprinkle flour onto a clean surface
5. Knead and roll out dough with a rolling pin onto the surface into a thin rectangular shape
6. Melt ½ cup vegan butter and spread on top of the dough
7. Sprinkle 1 cup of brown sugar to cover dough
8. Sprinkle 3 tbsp of cinnamon on top of brown sugar
9. Starting from the bottom side of the rectangle closest to you, start rolling the dough into a long snake shape
10. Cut into cinnamon rolls (see below)
11. Place cinnamon rolls in a baking tray with baking paper (or tin foil tray)
12. Leave to set for 20 minutes & pre heat oven
13. Bake for 25 minutes on the top shelf at 180 degrees celsius
14. Take cinnamon rolls out of the oven and let cinnamon rolls cool for 5 minutes
15. While the cinnamon rolls are cooling down, make the icing with 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tbsp almond milk & ½ tsp vanilla extract. Adjust milk to achieve the desired consistency
16. Cover warm cinnamon rolls with icing glaze
17. Take a crap load of mouth-watering pictures & DEMOLISH!
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know what you thought in the comments below!